Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 18: gender injustice

Last year I was in Phuket, Thailand and during my 6 weeks in Phuket, I really got close with the kids that lived in the neighborhood where I was. These kids completely stole my heart, but especially this little girl.

One night her grandmother came over to me and, with the same ease that she would display if she were offering me a potatoe chip, she offered me this little girl.

There are an estimated 100 million girls missing from the world. (Half The Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof) This kind of disaster starts with the devaluing of women. Devalue them enough and then it doesn't seem so bad to deny them education, to exploit them, to sell them, use them, or kill them.

 

Go tell a woman in your life how much you appreciate and value her.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment