Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Day 16: Human Trafficking

 Now this is actually a drawing I did two years ago, but it never really was given a chance to influence as it was intended; I figured now was an appropriate time as ever to put it on display. 

Human Trafficking is modern day slavery. I have a hard time knowing what's appropriate to say here because so many people do know about human trafficking and yet there are still those who don't, among those who do know are those who don't yet know what to do about it. And here is where so many guilt trips have been laid, so many stories shared, trying to compel others to act; but there is no conviction card that can be played here that will strike the winning response. People are not motivated by conviction, maybe at first but it certainly won't sustain. So here's the fact:

 "Trafficking in humans generates profits in excess of 32 billion dollars a year for those who, by force and deception, sell human lives into slavery and sexual bondage. Nearly 2 million children are exploited in the commercial sex industry." (International Justice Mission)

This bit of information merely educates you, but what motivates all of us is HOPE. We don't want to engage in something that we don't believe can succeed. Hope is the belief that what is desired can be attained. So where can the hope be found in such a dark situation? Well I find hope every time I hear someone was rescued, every time a brothel is shut down, every time someone stands up and says, "No!", every time the law strengthens and the people become more aware; every time I find hope. But my ultimate hope is in Jesus Christ, the God of Justice, Who promises that one day He'll come back and make all of this right; that one day all of this will end...until then it's our responsibility. 

Last year I was in Thailand working in the red light districts serving as an in-between person for the working girls and a ministry that would help get them out of the sex industry, counsel them and teach them a trade. It was the darkest and heaviest place that I had ever stepped into. I hated going in there at night and most days were spent convincing myself why I had to go out there again. I hated seeing the girls in the situations they were in, I hated seeing the men treat them the way they did, I hated the whole scene. One night as I was preparing to go into the red light district I said to God, "God I hate this place." And I heard Him say, "So do I, but I love those people." So I went and so we go. 

There are heaps of excellent and noteworthy organizations out there that are working, in their own way, to combat human trafficking; some of which are listed just to the right under "RECOMMENDED SITES". Take a look at them, do some research and find which organization(s) you want to stand behind and assist in this fight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment